Thursday 24 July 2008

W is for Women

M was for men and in V we read about Vilnius having a 20% higher female population than men, so it feels right that W is for Women. Lithuania is of course the land of beautiful ladies (which gives me an excuse to inbed this video again)

There are three main types of Lithuanian woman in common parlance, močiutė, lietuvaitė and everyone else.

A močiutė - or grandma - is what our Russian friends might call a babushka. She's traditonally short, rounded, a little weather-beaten but still has plenty of fight about her. She cares for her family and she can tell you some amazing stories of what it was like in her day.
She can also batter her way onto a trolley bus with no remorse and will doubtless find a bargain everywhere and anywhere.

A lietuvaitė on the other hand is currently living in "her day". Literally meaning a Lithuanian girl/ young woman the name sums up tradition, village life, purity, youth, beauty, singing, patriotism and everything that the illustration below represents.It's this that many people - not just men - have in mind when their first question to newly arrived foreign men is, "what do you think of Lithuanian girls?"

I would have to concede that there does seem to be a higher percentage of attractive women in Lithuania than in other countries I have visited, but it becomes both uncomfortable and almost obscene as people ask your opinion of their womenfolk in the same way a farmer might begin selling his prize livestock.

Behind this pride in breeding stock lies a sadder and much less innocent reality. The divorce rate in Lithuania is perhaps the highest per capita in the EU, yet it is culturally more acceptable for a woman to be divorced than to have never married at all.

Lithuania is in many ways a matriarchal society. Except for politics and big business - where men rule the roost (though I'd be interested to meet their wives) - women often seem to be the ones who lead families, who do the hard graft both at work and at home, who go to church, who get involved in social projects and who want to create better futures. Even amongst students I find it is the young women who get higher marks, who speak more foreign languages, who travel and have dreams and plans for their lives - whereas the young men often seem content with the status quo and even if they're not, who don't seem to want to put in the effort to make any changes, firstly with themselves or with their surroundings.

Many men do have low self-esteem in Lithuania which is partly why many become alcoholics, therefore becoming less useful at work, often unemployed and leaving a wife to look after the house, the family and become a model to her children. I've also been told that because so many men have gone to fight over the numerous wars over the last century and a half, men have become a precious commodity and as a result "mothered" by their wives and mothers - sons treasured and allowed to do what they want while daughters have been made to work on the land and earn their due. This leads to men living in an extended adolesence whereas women mature even quicker than relative to their brothers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very, very interesting! Thanks for all the time and research you put into these blog entries. I've learned a lot.

~ Barry's sister Joanne in the U.S.

Jola3000 said...

precious commodity. hmmm... I agree in most cases. But I see that young generation of men (that would be around 20 y old and younger) show a lot of potential. There is hope!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this entry. I'm an American woman and fell in love with a Lithuanian man. My first love and I am his, but love is not enough.
Even though he was sweet and thoughtful, he had no drive for life. Somewhere down the line he convinced himself he was ok with basically nothing. I could not figure out the clash that was going on and how he seemed so content with the status quo. Even sex was dull. Now, don't get me wrong, he was not lazy. He did very thoughtful things for me, cooked nice dinners, and was very compassionate and loving. But anything that required a real drive he did not do. He never quite wanted to put any umph into anything he did in life, as if someone was coming along any minute to save him.
I broke it off the other day and he said he will still love me forever but he can't get himself to change his ways even though he knows he has to. He won't change-I know that. But it's still very sad and this was my first time in love. I couldn't bare becoming another "mommying" girlfriend and he couldn't make the change. Love is enough actually, but if you have courage, he has no courage.
I am not a blogger but since you have no clue who I am I figured 'what the hell'. What you wrote helped me.